Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Allison Lost Her First Tooth

I posted this last week when it actually happened, but I like this Blog program better, so I thought I would share....

October 23rd, 2008

Make no mistake, I don't feel old most of the time. But this past Tuesday Night, I felt ancient.

Allison, my soon-to-be six year old (tomorrow in fact), has had a wiggly tooth for about a week and a half. She talked non-stop about the tooth, what she would do with it once it fell out, etc. Amanda and I've been excited about Allison's tooth as well, but there's always been that lingering, stomuch wrenching, knot in the throat feeling, knowing that our little girl is growing up.

So Tuesday night Allison comes bopping into our bedroom to play a game on the computer. I hear over my shoulder a gasp and when I turn around, Allison's eyes are as big as saucers and she's crying. Turns out, she'd pushed her tongue against her loose tooth and it had started to pop out. After calming her a bit, I gently took the tooth between thumb and index finger and pulled it the rest of the way out. Into a plastic bag and under the pillow it went. The next morning she was triumphantly holding a $5.00 bill from the Toothfairy.

When did she grow up? Get so big, that she's reading whole sentences, understanding that four boxes drawn on a paper are the same as the number four written on the page. It seems like only yesterday, she was responding to Amanda and I talking to her through her Mommy's tummy. Wasn't it yesterday that I watched her roll over for the first time? Walk across the Sunday School Classroom floor with out falling? Eat her food with a spork on her own? When did she get so big?

Maybe it's just me, but I'm starting to feel old.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I feel old because I just saw my niece drive off in her car -- UGGHH!! AND - I am sad that inflation has affected the tooth fairy - my fairy NEVER left me $5.00!! I can't imagine how much Scarlett will get per tooth! she would laugh her head off (I am sure) if she woke up to 50 cents!!